Coffee Business and Barista Training Bundle (4days) - Calgary
This four day package bundles all of our standard classes into one intensive 4 day coffee business and barista training course.
Class Times: Day 1 from 10am to 6pm, Day 2 from 10am to 5pm, Day 3 from 9am to 530pm and Day 4 from 9am to 12 noon
Duration: 4 days, lunch is included on Day 1 and 2 only in the Opening a Coffee Business course.
Prerequisite: No prior experience required
Click the Links below for descriptions:
- Opening a Cafe course
- Coffee Tasting Level I Class
- Barista Level 1: Basic Espresso Training
- Barista Level 2: Advanced Barista Workshop
- Barista Level 3: Expert Workshop
Opening a Cafe Course:
This course is a combination of lecture, group discussion, cupping coffee, tasting workshop and activities, all of which are designed to help you critically think through the process of opening your own cafe.
- Franchises good or bad (if you are considering buying a franchise you need to take this course)
- Building a Business Plan and Profit & Loss Statement
- Finding a location
- Controls including beverages, food, cash, inventory & payroll
- Choosing your Suppliers / Roaster
- Purchasing Equipment
- Staff Training & Fostering a Barista Culture
Coffee Tasting Level I:
An Introduction to Coffee & Exposing Coffee Myths
This is one of our best courses, all our students rave about this, and we consider it such an essential course, that we include it for free in our opening coffee business packages which is always held on day 2 of the opening a cafe business course.
This workshop will give you the tools you need to train your staff in basic coffee knowledge; how to interview and work with roasters; and educate your customers.
Fun, hands on and interactive, this class involves using all your senses. This course will answer all the questions you were never sure about in coffee. Despite being the most consumed drink in the world, very few people know anything about coffee. All we know are advertising factoids and propaganda. Why do people drink the coffee they drink? Can people taste? In this class we pull back the curtain and reveal the real truth about coffee.
- Basic coffee agronomy and processing
- Regional Coffee Profiles
- Tasting exercises
- Understanding your palate
- How to talk about coffee flavours
- Blind Cupping
- Comparative Cupping
- Cupping for quality
- Choosing a Roaster
Barista Level I:
The barista training level one class will correct any flaws in your coffee making technique, which can and will affect consistency. Without consistency, each and every customer gets a different tasting drink. Barista Level I creates consistency through fundamentally sound technique that is well established through step by step instructions written and hands-on.
- Coffee myths
- Fundamental theories of Espresso Preparation
- Espresso equipment
- Essentials of espresso
- Consistency - producing a technically correct drink
- How to grind, dose and tamp
- Milk texturing principals
- Basics of beverage preparation
- Machine Maintenance
Barista Level II:
Advanced Barista Workshop
This class expands on the fundamentals practised in Barista Level 1.
You will learn to manipulate techniques to enhance taste and fine-tune the technically correct drink. Our advanced barista training level II course prepares the student for the challenges in Barista Level three.
- How should Espresso taste?
- Roasters influence on taste
- Grinders role in affecting taste
- Machine engineering and taste
- Baristas impact on taste
- Milk Chemistry
- Building your drinks: cappuccino, lattes, signature drinks
- Latte Art demonstration
- Detailed equipment maintenance
Barista Level III:
Professional barista instructors share their coffee bar skills and secrets with you while explaining clearly the techniques of Latte Art. Milk temperature, texturing and pouring skills will be reviewed as well.
This is a practical, down-to-earth class that will cover simple to expert complex latte art designs. You will try your hand many times at creating your own artistic milk masterpiece!
Class attendees receive a certificate of completion from the Canadian Barista and Coffee Academy for all classes given and includes printed take-away books.
Maximum Class Size: Limited to 6 per instructor.
Please note, there is a minimum class enrolment for the course at our Calgary Campus. We will give you 7 days notice. At that time you can choose between a full refund or re-scheduled to the next available date.
Classes include printed take-away material.
Class attendees receive a certificate of completion from the Canadian Barista and Coffee Academy.